Friday, April 19, 2024

Different Prices for a Lagavulin 16 y.o at a Diner and at A Bar


I like burgers and steaks at the casual and fuss-free The Feather Blade. We were here for its Jett Barbecue X The Feather Blade smoked beef cheek burger and the wagyu hanging tender from Hancock Agriculture, and of course its dependable 200-g feather blade steak.

The kitchen is ridiculously fast here. Our meats and sides came out within 15 minutes of putting in our orders. I didn't dare to do most of the sides because they're flavored heavier than I would have liked them. And no creamed spinach ever, thanks — that's an immediate laosai dish. I did take a spoonful of mac and cheese though. Hehhh.

We had whisky and cocktails. My nice dram of Lagavulin 16 y.o with a proper square of ice (made with distilled water) was S$21++. That's a super decent price. The right price for the distillery and year, so to speak. It's not difficult to want to return to this diner at all.

The friends wanted to end the night with a cocktail at Last Word. Okaay. Owned by the same people of Nutmeg & Clove downstairs, it's just much quieter. Last Word is a decent bar,  except that it's all about cocktails. And I really don't fancy cocktails. Zzzzz. 

Now, most cocktail bars priced their cocktails reasonably. Even a bespoke cocktail is between S$27 - S$32++. But they tend to charge a premium for a dram of whisky. I'm like, whyyyy. It's not as if you'll use good single malts for mixes in cocktails. So If we're at a cocktail bar, it's usually two glasses of cocktails for the friends, and just one whisky for me. Nothing more. 

During happy hour, Last Word seems to offer welcome drinks and complimentary oden. At 9pm, of course everything on the menu is on regular prices. I'm sure the prices included the price of my cold towel and random nuts. Tonight, my regular dram of Lagavulin 16 y.o is S$42++. 

My mistake was in not asking for the prices of the whisky I wanted. Come on, your ambience is an extra S$20++?!!! Okaaaaaay. Last Word completely overpriced their whisky. This square of ice wasn't superior to The Feather Blade's. I was quite disgruntled, tbh. Not coming back here if I can help it.

2 comments:

蓝月 said...

Hope all is well with you :)

imp said...

hi J! i'm good. may all be well with you too!