Wednesday, April 24, 2024

The Brand New GRUB Pasta Kitchen at Bishan Park


What joy it is to have GRUB Pasta Kitchen set up a sheltered al fresco area that is pet-friendly! The bistro is finally back at the beautiful Bishan Park, and it's lovely to sit down for dinner in its new space. I've stopped by twice for dinner! Heh.

I'm sooooo appreciative that this outlet took the effort to secure a SFA Pets-Allowed licence, and even have a sheltered spacious outdoor patio where the floofs could be, and we dine in relative comfort with a few overhead fans. I only hope floof owners be responsible for their tables and keep it clean, neat and at a safe distance for everyone.

They have a pretty decent pasta menu that made me go wheeeee. I wanted to eat every item! I love it that they didn't include spaghetti in the choice of pasta. What for, right. Let's hope that the Bishan customer base won't revolt against this menu, take away everything that I like, and reduce this to yet another inane cafe menu with crap food.

In the end, the uni tagliolini got me. I can never resist uni done this way with chives, pickled shallots, ikura. Also shared a grilled seabass with the man. At $22 for a fillet, this isn't a branzino. But at least it's a local seabass and not some weird dory. Apparently the French onion soup is good. I had a sip of it, but I didn't bother getting a whole bowl. I'm okay with French onion soups, but it's not my favorite kind of soup.

There's the aglio e olio bucatini that I wouldn't mind trying. Unfortunately the only topper offered is prawns. Ugh. They didn't have mushrooms. Hmmmm. I returned to have the basil pork gigli. Gorgeous. Very Thai. It's spicy enough, but I'd love more chilli padi at the side. Oof! 

The Argentinian ribeye is okay since it's priced at $34. It's not mind-blowing but it provides protein. We asked for medium-rare but it arrived medium; this is quite typical of busy bistros that don't specialize in steaks. The tarragon grilled chicken was tasty too. I'm not sure if they offer chicken breast, we didn't ask the kitchen tonight — the cut on our plate was the thigh. What's surprisingly delicious, are the sides of charred broccoli (not burnt and nicely salted) and mash (not watery). The greens are beautifully grilled, and potatoes and butter well-churned. 

Love this space. Bishan Park is a 20-minute drive from home. But, I'll be here at GRUB Pasta Kitchen often, on week days. I have this thing about supporting flood-friendly restaurants that has good food. Oh, and the wine list is super decent. Hehehehe. Of course I had to get an easy bottle of red for both evenings.🍷

No comments: