Tuesday, October 01, 2024

The Cast Iron Skillet Cracked and Split Through


Today was the first time the 8" Lodge cast iron skillet smoked so much, which was odd. Then as the steaks were done, and were lifted them out of the pan to rest, a loud crack came from the pan. It completely split from top edge to the center. WHOA. 

A cast iron skillet literally cracked into two. 

/ The induction stovetop's glass is okay. No cracks, no splits, nothing. 

This skillet has never been dropped, and I don't randomly put water into it, especially not today. The heat is kept at 6-7 (with highest being 9). Induction hobs heat pans and pots fast and fierce, so I always adjust the heat from low to medium to start being going higher, then back to medium. I think the skillet somehow got a thermal shock, and it was so done with me, and gave up on life. LOL 

Ah well. I've used it for 3 years, and it's kept out on the kitchen counter because it's so often used. I clean (with salt) and season it down properly after each use and it's kept rust-free. Bye bye skillet, thank you for your service.

At least I was done with the steaks and wasn't intending to sear anything else in the pan. Here's a pic of the said steaks that nobody asked about. They turned out rather fine — seared blue. One portion was for the dog, and one portion for the husband. Both looked the same, with the same herbs on different plates. LOL I simply sprinkled more salt and black pepper on the portion for humans.

This is Choya's plate.

No comments: