Wednesday, October 02, 2024

No No No to Birds


If people say I'm a dog lover, I correct them. I am not. I like mine and some of my friends' floofs fine. But I do not like all dogs, and I most certainly do not have a big heart for them, or am even moved to donate when people seek crowdfunding for medical bills for their own ill dogs. 

If people comment that I am an animal lover, I also correct them. I do not like all animals. In this urban context, I especially do not take to monkeys or otters. I also do not like pigeons (doves included, their better PR image notwithstanding), mynahs, crows, ravens, parrots, cockatoos, lovebirds, etc. Owls are cute enough. Hahaha.

That day, I sat on the outdoor chairs at Rookie's Coffee and stared at the traditional bird shop across the block. (There're oddly many mozzies lurking at this area.) The birds were busily chirping. The random community/ 'wild' roosters and chickens were roaming around and going in and out of the shop. So were the pigeons. 

Eioooow.

Seeing them this up and close and personal, well, I really do not like birds. Naaah, I don't have a phobia of them, but I do not want to handle them or go near them. I don't like how pigeons fly at me or fly near my ears or over my head at food centers. That said, it's not like I'm going to kick them or throw stones at them. Don't be silly. I'll just step around or avoid them. I don't mind watching majestic goshawks or eagles or vultures, from a distance. They're best viewed in the wild (not at void decks of flats or dirty public squares), not to be caged or kept as pets, imho. 

Choya simply stared and silently watched. She doesn't bother chasing birds anymore the moment she learnt that they can fly. She doesn't chase chickens or chicks either. Unless they come in too close to her. I'm not sure if she made the connection between these feathered fowl and the chimken in her bowl.

No comments: