Thursday, September 03, 2026

Spicy Tom Yam Soup on A Hot Day

Only mad Asians would sit outdoors in the 33°C mid-day heat for lunch, eat a ton of chillies and still drink HOT SOUP. We met at Krapow on Zion Road. Hellooooo Thai spices! Not every dish is a hit here; some could be greasy. But we've gone through the menu enough to know what to order and what to avoid.

An appetizer of som tam wouldn't be counted as mad isn't it? It's not a hot dish although the chillies are fiery. We asked for extra spicy. Ahahahah. The kangkong was for fibre, and prudently, I ordered it NON-SPICY. Heh.

The table's 'Devil Fried Rice' is cray-cray spicy. I don't like it because while it packs a punch, I'm not interested in spicy rice. I don't want want every mouth to be like chilli + chilli. I opted for a regular pork krapow, with plain gorgeous jasmine rice.

What took the cake was the tom yam soup. Opted for normal-spicy. It was a good one. The perspiration was max. We were definitely thankful for that overhead fan and metal roof that kept out the heat a fair bit. The plants helped to block us from the full-on traffic dust. Luckily the wind direction at this point was kind and didn't blow the ashes of those burning Seventh Month offerings in a tall giant burner over to this side. Imagine if the haze is here, and we get more smoke and ash from paper offerings lingering in the environment. Tsk.

No comments: