Friday, September 04, 2026

The Cost of Having Kopi with My Dog


I don't mind Tembusu at Botanics. I appreciate the indoor air-conditioned portion where they welcome pets. This is part of the previous Cafe Nicole and Under the Linden's new concept. However, I have a problem with pet owners who allow their pets to roam freely and don't understand why dogs ought to be leashed at a cafe. That is a huge issue. If Tembusu turns into a dog cafe style, I'm not going.

Plus the sector where the dogs are, the flower kiosk is there. I will literally break out into hives from the pollen. This is why I've never bothered to go to the group's other cafes. I'm really not a fan of flowers. Now that the flower kiosk is in operation, I might not be headed there often, if at all.

I looked at the items on the table. The breakfast set of two pretty nice eggs, and a thick slab of kaya-butter toast, and a cup of coffee, all cost $14.90++. The kaya wasn't even up to par. That's the price of dining out with dogs, indoors, at a cafe that doesn't offer shitty food. 

Let's not compare coffee to kopi. Nanyang local kopi is not quite the same as an Americano or a piccolo latte. We look at kopi. Honestly, it's hard to find a decent cup of kopi-o-siu-siu-dai for $1.30. It has been a really long time since I had one at a hawker center. (Let’s put aside the good Generation Coffee at Tekka since that's not a common thing.)

I rarely step into hawker centers now because they're simply not on my way to and fro destinations, or they offer food that I'm not keen on. I'm more often at kopitiams. Never have a coffee of any sort at an air-conditioned food court because those definitely suck.

So what do we end up with for consistency? A regular kopitiam that we like, Toast Box or Ya Kun, Killiney, Old Tea Hut or Fun Toast... the sorts. And that's the price of kopi in Singapore. And if I want to have my dog with me while I have this cup of kopi, then I will have to pay more for the 'privilege'. I had better make sure that I can still afford a daily cup of kopi in ten years.

No comments: