Friday, October 02, 2026

Prata with Sambal Please

Sometimes I wonder why prata stalls in Singapore don't offer sambal along with the prata. Curry at the side is the standard. I very much prefer fish curry to chicken. And I always would like to have sambal along with it. Now that sugar. I don't understand the sugar. Why! Why would anyone eat prata with spoonfuls of sugar. Walao. 

Mr and Mrs Mohgan's at Joo Chiat offers sambal ikan bilis along with their prata. This is probably about the only stall that the husband would have the patience to queue to order, then wait an hour for the food. The only problem is, for the long wait, all we could stomach is one prata each. Gone are the days we could do two pieces even. 

If you can turn up at 6.30am or 7am, that would be the best. Anything after this timing means that you have to wait for at least 45 minutes for your food. It's normally a one-hour wait. Weekends are mad. Bring portable fans. Bring cash. It's cash only. Or you'd have to beg to borrow cash and PayNow the kind soul.

That day, we wanted coffee, and a walk for Choya. Popped out to Joo Chiat. That was already 11am. Just a comforting glass of kopi-o-siu-siu-dai iced. It was pretty decent. The queue for prata was manageable, so the husband ordered, and his queue number was 177. By 180, they closed the orders and told everyone else it was sold out! By 11.30am! We got our food only at 12.15pm. They did serve till 12.45pm and called it a day.

I'm not super keen on prata. It's tasty but I won't do more than one. So I wouldn't waste my carb quota on random prata. Today, I wasn't in the mood for it, except for a bite. So I had the caifan. This point-point rice stall is decent, but it doesn't beat my favorite Everton Park stall, only because this one's sodium levels higher.

I had to pee mid-way. That was the first time I used this kopitiam's toilet. It's super old school sial. It was surprisingly clean. I suppose it's fewer stalls/staff using as well. And IT'S A SQUAT TOILET> OMG. I was so pleased! No wonder it's clean! Nobody wanted to use it! Bahahahhaha. 

I love it that Choya is perfectly fine chilling with us at the kopitiam. Our table that day was right at the street corner. It wasn't that near that road, so we didn't get a full blast of dust and vehicle exhaust. The haze wasn't present this morning; there was a little breeze that stirred occasionally. She was really happy to watch the world go by and didn't want to snooze at all. 

Mrs and Mrs Mohgan's Crispy Prata
300 Joo Chiat Rd, Singapore 427551 
Tin Yeang Restaurant (non-air-conditioned kopitiam)
Hours: 6.30pm to 1.30pm. (Closed on Wednesdays.)

No comments: