The coach has been ending our sessions with walking sandbag lunges. He did give me the option of lunging with dumbbells or to do Bulgarian split squats. NO to both. If I'm lunging with dumbells, then I might as well haul a sandbag across the shoulders and walk the lunges instead. No to Bulgarian split squats either. I hate them. I recognize that they're great. The one movement all runners should be do. I will do them weekly but it's absolutely vile on PT days after heavy back squats and deadlifts. Hahahaha.
I don't bother with a 10-kg sandbag anymore. That's really too light for me now. It has to be the 20-kg. When I tried out the 20-kg, I wasn't able to haul it up in a swift clean-and-press. It wasn't the weight. It was the timing. It's also a wriggly bag with shifting sand and that was initially a bit difficult to grasp. Once I practiced a little, I got it. A straight up clean-and-press and over the head, and across the shoulders.
Now, the coach thinks it's really cool to end all our PT sessions with this: 20-kg, 100-meters. SO DEAD. It's a great exercise to work those glutes, quads and hamstrings. The lunges are done knee-to--floor. People ask if I'm training for Hyrox Singapore in November. NO. The answer is no. I don't care about Poop-rox. All these exercises aren't unique to Hyrox. They're simply functional.
A strong set of glutes, quads and hamstrings is the only thing that would save me from breaking my bones in a fall. Piling on muscles always help with staving off osteopenia. I'm acutely aware of that. And my body needs to be in optimal condition — not for races, but to do life with minimal physical pain and hiccups.

No comments:
Post a Comment