Friday, October 24, 2008

Chinese Meals

It's a Friday night and I'm home.

I don't intend to go out at all. I want a quiet night in. I'm completely knackered. Plus I'm not sure if the bad luck's still trailing nonchalantly wherever I go.

Work's suddenly piled up today and I really didn't want to sort it out. But it had to be done.

In between, I had to co-host another "讲华语" lunch and dinner. Luckily the table seating plan was settled pretty early. So I had the luxury of time to surf 新浪网 to read up on the respective companies my dining companions belong to.

Besides the background brief on the objectives of these meals, I need to know one point about these strangers I'm sharing a table with for 2 hours each meal. I think PR people will empathize with me, yes?

Anyway, I'm nursing a migraine from having to 讲华语 in an accent all day.

I'm quite comfortable using Mandarin to discuss our nation's policies in various sectors. But I baulk at in-depth tinkling of our nation's budgeting measures and fiscal policies. I can't quite convert the technical terms from English to Mandarin. My brain can't handle the language at top notch level for anything more than half a day.

During the lull in conversations, I wondered if Jennifer Aniston is really pregnant with John Mayer's child.

I need to get back to conversations that please my brains (or therelackof). Bring on Friday Night Lights! I need to be immersed in SNL frivolity and barbs.

Now, excuse me while I go ogle at Jensen Ackles in Supernatural and finish up the 6 episodes aired so far in Season 4.

11 comments:

Corsage@A Dollop Of Me said...

Gosh, I completely symphatise with you! Work dinners drain me and I recall being completely burnt out during a month long work trip in China. Rest well and enjoy fluff and English this long weekend ;)

imp said...

corsage: i salute u man. i won't be able to last a month in china.

Anonymous said...

and therein lies our cultural identity crisis. *smacks forehead*

Anonymous said...

oh my. i'm kowtowing to you (and corsage!) in case you can't feel it... Darn, i can't even figure how to explain what the company does in mandarin.

meanwhile, do you think she's really preggers? hahaha.

Anonymous said...

haha. I thought I am the only one to get headaches from 讲华语 meals. And why do they always ask about politics? Good on you girl for surviving this week. :)

- hobomobo

imp said...

jazzgal: well. yes i guess. Ethnically Chinese sorta, but culturally so not.

moo: HAHAHAHHAH. maybe!!! then we'll get another fantastic baby guitarist i hope! think it's kinda 'kena trained' along the way at work.

hobomobo: join the club. let's hold hands to keep headaches at bay!!! it must be the frequency of the tone and accent. heh.

Carrie said...

Had a really rough week too at work so totally understand the need to watch tv and chill over the weekend.

I get scared watching supernatural tho!

imp said...

carrie: hope you're enjoying your long weekend! the only thing that Supernatural scares me about is the idea of living in small town america. ;p

Anonymous said...

too many work meals dull the mind.

imp said...

meteor: hahahaha. right. and the tastebuds too!

mummybean said...

wow, you can discuss policy in chinese! i'm such a failure, i can't even converse with my confinement lady in decent chinese...