Wednesday, November 02, 2011

'Dreams and Reality' :: Round 2


Don't worry, I'm not going to gush for all the 10 times I'll be visiting the National Museum for this exhibition. I'll probably mention a paltry 3 on the blog. Or 4. Kekekekeke. You know my propensity to visit a gallery a hundred times and I'll still find a painting of interest and exclaim in surprise how I've never noticed it!

D and I, we're not fans of Monet's landscapes. We could go into a discussion with the usual comments on his relief effects, or if the state of his cataracts are reflected in his paintings or partly attributed to the infamous London fog seemingly apparent in his paintings of River Thames. But we're very interested in talking about Rousseau's tigers and monkeys, all of which aren't here in this exhibition.

Anyway, this visit, I'm very taken by Édouard Vuillard's 'Profile of a Woman in a Green Hat'. It's not the first time I've seen the painting. But it's the first time I lingered over it. Never mind the Japonisme influence in the painting. I'm more amused by the fact that all of us are staring intently, and perhaps reverently, at the painting and this one shows her butt right back at us! I forgot to take a look at what painting it faces across the room. I must remember to check that out the next round. It'd be very funny if it's something...famous.

There seems to be a large number of green hats depicted in paintings by various artists. I sniggered as I remembered fashion colors of green, blue and purple discussed in the ridiculous Hollywoody but hilarious recent remake of 'The Three Musketeers'. I've always wondered if the woman is cross with the painter (or us?), being furtive or simply being annoyed. Or ummm...flirting? Without the mouth, I can't tell.

No comments: