Friday, September 20, 2013

'The Magnificent Cello' at the National Museum


One more concert at 'Music at an Exhibition' before 'Princely Treasures from the House of Lichentstein' ends its run. Themed 'The Magnificent Cello' tonight, Qin Li-Wei took the lead on the cello, and Bernard Lanskey was on piano.

The evening began with a solo in Bach's Cello Suite No.1 in G major, BWV 1007. I'm not in love with the Classical period. I like Baroque, but I'm not a fan of Bach. Yes, it's end Baroque, but it's just his style that I'm not particularly fond of. I can listen it, of course. But it doesn't inspire me. However, Qin Li-Wei is such an expressive cellist that one couldn't help but be caught up in his interpretation of the movements.

Beyond Boccherini's minuets and how he places prominence on the cello in string performances, I'm totally not familiar with his works, much less tonight's Cello Sonata No.6 in A major, G4. It's classical, and soothing. To me, this combination doesn't work. Still good to have heard it.

Then fittingly, there was Beethoven's Sonata in G minor for Cello and Piano, Op.5. No.2. It's like, if one plays the piano, one must be able to play Beethoven. He totally annoys me, from the time I knew him at six years old up till now. The only reason I cut him any slack, is for his supposed Orpheus Concerto, and how awesome Mitsuko Uchida plays it. But anyway, since this is a sonata for the cello and piano, it was totally worth a listen. Of course the cello shone. It was initially written for the Prussian monarch who was an accomplished cellist. The piano wouldn't dare to outshine the cello in this piece.

No comments: