Monday, June 30, 2014

Herman and Rosie

Once in a while, I read books for the young, to refresh perspectives and tune the brains to a world seemingly simpler. Read a new gift from a now-friend, I would say. He was sure I would like it. And I do. Gus Gordon's ode to two musicians- 'Herman and Rosie'.

I don't actively seek out Gus Gordon's stories or illustrations. But a few years back when I read Jen Storer's 'Haggis McGregor and the Night of the Skull Moon', I was so taken with the illustrations that I went to find out more about the illustrator. Oh those skeletons!

Herman is a crocodile who plays the oboe superbly, and Rosie is a deer who is jazz vocalist. Except they both hold full time jobs, and do this music thing part-time. LOLed. Not exactly a children's story plot. Ah well. It hints at a romance. I could live with that. There're more overtones of friendship and something about soulmates rather. Very nice. Needless to say, 'Herman and Rosie' is the quickest read ever. Done in nine minutes. Then I took a second read to linger over the illustrations. That took much longer. I traced the lines and imagined the city Herman and Rosie live in, and how the oboe sounded along to the jazz vocals. I didn't want to think that it has to be New York City, but it is. While the book doesn't state it such in the story, the maps at the front and back indicated it clearly. The Big Apple, where dreams are either cruelly shattered or come true in the wildest way possible.

Once upon a time in a very busy city,
on a very busy street,
on top of a very tall building,
Rosie found Herman. And Herman found Rosie.
          The city was never quite the same.

No comments: