Saturday, June 28, 2014

Pink Dot SG 2014


Work day, many happenings. Cue exhaustion. I couldn't make it down to #PinkDot2014 or more after-parties or whatever-drinks. But what I could do, was to intentionally wear pink. Pink, is a color I really dislike even as a kid. I always choose blue. So today, I picked out pink and wore it rather happily.

Social media did what it does best- kept me updated on all the details, photos, colors, quotes, words and laughter that went on at Hong Lim Park. Videos, tweets, texts, everything! I was thrilled. So very nice to be kept in the loop. At sunset, pink-hued skies winked at me through the windscreen. Awesome.

There's been a storm of controversy, comments and opinion pieces flying to and fro. I know where I stand on this topic, and it's firmly for the freedom to love, regardless. I won't hesitate to call out bigotry when I see or hear it. I really don't see much differences between homophobes and racists. Perhaps in the near future, the constitution may be enlightened enough to change some archaic laws , a move that the rest of the world have adopted except for some countries which Singapore would usually loathe (I'm guessing) to be lumped together with. Right about the same time Pink Dot Singapore was going on, #LondonPride went on with many rainbows (yes, the real ones in the sky) spotted and uploaded onto social media. For better or worse, those make for great discussion.

I saw the fireworks and the hearts that came out. Had to smile. Saw the big lit heart. 26,000 humans at the supposed count, eh? That's fantastic, if anyone is caring about numbers and trying to decipher what numbers might represent. The headlines are popping out fast and furious across international agencies about #PinkDot2014. Cool. The headlines indicate their sentiments. They wrote "unprecedented backlash from religious groups". Okay. Whatever. I'm not agnostic. Neither am I supremely religious nor a zealot like a hateful someone who keeps throwing around the phrase 'LGBT agenda'. And I have a problem with fervent evangelism. I'm still proudly Catholic. (Yes yes, paedophillic priests and all that shame.) If someone chooses a 'life of sin', so be it. Nobody, is in a position to presume God's word and judgment. Let that happen on judgment day; each individual will face it. Nobody should cast stones on another human like they're plague. Once upon a time, the crippled and lepers were despised too.

No comments: