Friday, July 04, 2014

In Love With Bookhou


Been a fan of bookhou's creations for years now. It was a label first flagged by the friends in Toronto. Love what they've been churning out. Helmed by John Booth and Arounna Khounnoraj, bookhou is "a multidisciplinary studio that emphasizes natural handmade materials and small production pieces".

But I've not bought any of their items till recently. Procrastination, I suppose. There wasn't any urgency to own these pieces. Was trying to hunt down some unique pieces in Seattle. Saw a few nice ones, but didn't fall in love. I still prefer bookhou's designs and feel. Decided to grab five items of bags and pouches online. Opted for ultra speedy shipping and the items arrived mint.

Photos really don't do these pieces justice. The stitching is tight and and finishing, perfect. The ink print on the canvas appeals to a minimal sense of aesthetics. The colors aren't offensive to me and importantly, they lean towards a sombre palette I'm fond of. Clean lines. Sometimes stark, and sometimes sweet, the prints match my clothes better than most other labels. At the end of the day, I like subtlety when it comes to bags.

It was quite a pleasant surprise to discover that the beautiful creative studio Bloesem in Singapore stocks bookhou. Come 28 - 30 August, Bloesem is hosting a Shibori dyeing class led by Arounna Khounnoraj. As much as I'm a fan, I'm not likely to join this class. Making things...doesn't appeal to me. :P I possess no artistic or creative craft inclinations.

7 comments:

ellie said...

Lovely designs. Class piqued my interest. In my fave colour too!

imp said...

if you sign up, check with them on the color! i didn't read it thoroughly, dunno if they'll commit to blue altho I understand most shibori dyes are blue-ish...

Anonymous said...

I love their sling bags! But still pondering about them....

Anonymous said...

Ok. Scrap what i said earlier! Just surfed in and bought a carryall! :P

imp said...

fern: heeeheeeheeee. See if you like yours! At least you get cheaper shipping. Heh.

kikare said...

I admire its products on Instagram for now. There are too many totes and pouches to admire...

imp said...

kikare: plenty indeed!