Monday, August 04, 2014

This World


Flounced out to buy Dave Eggers' 'Your Fathers, Where Are They? And The Prophets, Do They Live Forever?' I know, I've that unread pile waiting. It's probably going to be waiting forever. Doesn't matter. One can always do with a new book.

Anyway, this one. Plenty of references to Zechariah, the minor prophet who wrote after the fall of Jerusalem, and the thirty-eighth book of The Old Testament- Zechariah 1:5. The author turns into the voice of a prophet trying to reflect social ills through Thomas, a troubled man in his dialogue with people he kidnapped. (Reviews herehereherehere, and here.)

Thomas has a conversation with Mac, a congressman who lost his arms in the Vietnam War due to a mundane reason of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and not because of the enemy or friendly fire. Thomas forces the captives to engage in a conversation with him about their views of American policies from space programs, wars to finances and police brutality. He abducted Kev- a maybe-scientist-astronaut-hopeful, a policeman, a hospital administrator, Mr Hansen- his sixth-grade teacher, his mother, a woman he imagined to be a potential lover. The book is supposed to be provocative, commenting on the social and military policies America adopts. Thomas says "But couldn't we just sell bonds to pay for Social Security, education for all, college for all? I mean, everyone wrings their hands about cutting or saving some microscopic government program, and Where oh where will be get the money? - but then we turn around and there's a billion dollars for Afghani warlords. I mean, I know I'm stupid not to understand this, but I don't." 

The entire book moved like a dialogue. While it could get confusing, it isn't that which rattled the mind. It's Thomas' tone. The writer brilliant switches his tone as he talks to the captives, all whom have been separately locked up and interrogated. Thomas swings between being an astute observer, a psychotic killer-to-be and generally being a clinically depressed human. It's the writer's bid to represent all voices in the society clamoring to be heard.

- Do you know why you're here?
- No. Are you going to hurt me?
- No. But I need answers quick. There isn't much time left.
- Okay.
- You know the hospital where I found you - were you working there in 2012?
- Yes.
- What is your position there?
- I'm the director of patient access.
- Good. Good. That's what I thought.
- How did you get me here?
- You remember getting into the elevator down to the garage?
- Yes. That was you.
- Yes. Then chloroform and a thirty-minute drive. You were the easiest, next to my mom. Now listen. Some people have been here for days, so this has to be quick. Do you remember Don Banh?

No comments: