Saturday, November 29, 2014

On The Way In

Waiting with a beer.
LAX to SEA-TAC.

In the choice of long-haul flights, I win this one. As much as the man likes Indian spices (SQ route code-shares with Air India) and Korean kimchi and the general efficiency of the airports, he's giving up his SeoulIncheon-SFO route. We're definitely doing TokyoNarita-LAX.

Hanging out at airports for 23 hours is a bit much, even for me. Being able to lie flat out and sleep, and stretch is something to be thankful for. I cannot survive an economy seat for these flights.

LAX is under a ton of construction and upgrading their systems. The biometric terminals are now set up at arrivals, for residents and green card holders I think. We managed to breeze through the express lanes at immigrations and baggage. What a relief. At LAX domestic terminal, we were somehow granted a reprieve and were cleared through TSA PreCheck lines. That was a most-welcomed gesture after a 19-hour flight where we had to wait on the tarmac for 1.5 hours in Tokyo before taking off. If they could hurry up with the proposed Trusted Travellers Programme (TTP) and the automated kiosks, it'll be even better.


The inflight bento meals were really quite beautifully presented on SQ. Tasty too. Plenty of fish, which I like. But what I really love at the lounge at Tokyo-Narita is the Noodle Bar. Woot. Something about hot udon or soba. It's always the udon kakiage for me. It could be from an instant pack for all I know, but the kitchen churns it out at the exact temperatures to slurp it immediately. Yummy.

Importantly, the lounge also offers THIS. Automated beer dispenser for the best pour of Kirin ever. Hurhurhur. I rarely drink in-flight. But wouldn't mind a cold one during the fast one-hour transit where I prefer to eat or drink standing up. Not getting inebriated. All good. That pint was crisp and refreshing.

No comments: