Friday, May 05, 2017

Rolls at Japonessa

'Super Bad Boy'

Wrinkled my nose at Japonessa, well, because they serve strange sushi rolls. But at 11.50pm in the nights after gigs (especially at The Showbox), I'll take these rolls over burgers and pizza, or even a bowl of steaming hot phở, all of which I no like. I only recently learnt that they offer happy hour prices before 6pm and after 10pm, which makes those rolls more palatable.

I wouldn't want to pay USD21 for one order of maki. But USD11-13 is very acceptable. These rolls were rather delicious, because when I got over the horror of seeing rolls, it's pretty much a very good salad. Just don't think of them as sushi. At least the kitchen didn't stinge on ingredients, or slap mayonnaise all over. In fact, they don't even use mayonnaise; there's one with cream cheese though. Rolls are a compact meal and definitely a super healthy supper option. Heheheh.

The 'Skin on Skin' with salmon skin, avocado, cucumber and topped with king salmon, scallions and and soy glaze. The 'Wicked Sensation' of spicy tuna, avocado and cucumber topped with tuna, scallion and jalapeño lime glaze was actually spicy! The kitchen was really enthusiastic on the scallions. I love it, but if you don't like them, it's eeky. The 'Super Bad Boy' of eel and snow crab mix, atempura-ed and with cream cheese and spicy chilli aioli adds a different taste to the meal. The rolls are big. One roll is filling enough for me.

No comments: