Thursday, December 28, 2017

Glorious Food!

This season always brings mixed feelings. It's extremely exhausting for an introvert. I can only truly be comfortable with people whom I regularly talk to and see through the year. I am soooo glad to have spent time with people I love, and importantly, who know me (and my opinions and triggers). The smiles and laughter come naturally, and I needn't hold back my snark.

Such a treat to receive invitations to meals at the faeriefolk's homes. What a privilege. It meant that I could do tasting portions. Still, I overate. Hurhurhur. Never cared about dessert. Dessert seems to be quite a highlight at Christmas meals. The friends are great at making them, and each have got their specialty. Log cakes, cakes of all sorts including kueh lapis and sugee, pudding, and trifle. Well, I'm not big on sugar. But there were some amazing gingerbread cookies which went seriously low on the sweet scale and I really liked them.


Oddly when it comes to food during this season, I'm not a fan of traditional Christmas fare. I'm not fond of poultry (turkey, goose or chicken), and ham; don't mind roast beef, Yorkshire pudding and mash. Beef is my favorite meat anyway. Vegetarian food and salads are very welcomed, only if they're done well. I hate sad salads and one-dimensional pastas. I was completely taken by C's nut loaf. It was soooo tasty and chockfull of ingredients. Nut loaves over meat loaves any day.

I also like the Singaporean or Thai twist to Christmas foods. My palate likes its spices! Curries are always welcomed. The friends cook excellent curries, rendang and a whole assortment of tasty things. I will partake in curry devil and feng (pork offal curry) this season when they're generously trotted out. Those are rather delicious things done in different versions depending on each kitchen’s preferences. The assortment and spread of pickles, chillies and sambal is mind-boggling.


One ridiculously awesome tasty snack- Aunt G's ayam buah keluak buns. They were splendid! Such generous filling contained in the cutest homebaked soft milk bread rolls. OH MY. We could pair these buns with very good sambal belachan too, but we didn't. Ate it as is. Full-on grounded buah keluak goodness.

There're bakeries selling those polo buns (菠蘿包) or milk buns filled with ayam buah keluak. I wouldn't eat them even for a quick fix. Too sweet, and the sugar goes weird with the savory filing. Aunt G's buns held sugar of course, but because she baked them and could control the amount of ingredients that went in, they turned out to be perfectly balanced.

There were uhhh four buns for us to take home. I didn't want to hoard them. Whatever for? These taste best freshly baked. Ate all four buns late in the night at 10pm. Why not? Heh. I was greedy, and there would always be stomach space for good food. (Okay, I did share it with the man.) Totally worth the calories.

2 comments:

Su-Lin said...

Wow! Your aunt is so talented! Who would have thought of ayam buah keluak buns?!

imp said...

heh. yeah. she's got superb cooking skills. she's been making them since forever.