Wednesday, December 27, 2017

We Made Tomato Relish!


For some friends who are vegetarian or who love onions and tomatoes, the man and I decided to cook a batch of tomato relish for them. We love Seattle Canning Co's products, and stock them up by the cartons. We’ve been greatly inspired by Seattle Canning Co's 'Uncle Winston's Tomato Relish'. That tomato relish is so delightfully smoky. We can’t seem to get the smokiness right, but we’ll get there.

I don’t usually fancy buying chutney or relish off the shelves. Only because these are easy for me to cook at home. I tend to make relish and chutney slightly more salty than sweet. Four tomatoes and a dollop of paste fill up one jar, along with salt, sugar, vinegar, lots of onions and curry powder. Each batch in the pan makes two jars. I'm tickled that only the mildest curry powder can be used. There’s tons of curry powder in the larder but they all contain too much heat. Oh believe me, I've tried. Baba's is awesome for everything else but this type of tomato relish. Had to hunt for a wimpy one from McCormick’s. 😂 #ImpieCooks2017

These jars keep well in the fridge for a few months. Tomato relish with anchovies on bread is divine. On days I prefer something more savory than a banana, it's an easy pre-workout snack. On many days, it makes a meal, along with a boiled egg. I also get a jar out and eat a few scoops of relish on its own just for fun. Hehehe.

2 comments:

wl said...

mmmm mouthwatering indeed !

imp said...

i'm sure you might do a batch of your own soon! :)