Friday, August 31, 2018

The Single Leg Tendon Stretch on the Reformer


While the brain understands that the Pilates tendon stretch on the Chair or the Reformer isn't about arm strength, it still took some time for the body to understand the movement. It comes from the core and the abs.

I've started on the basic single leg tendon stretch on the Reformer. As usual, I made the instructor show it to me once. Often, my brain doesn't quite understand what the ears hear. Once she showed me how it's done, I sort of understood. BUT. I missed out a crucial point in getting the form right. You know I have this phobia of face-planting, so I couldn't dive far front enough to get into the proper position. Without going forward low and farther, no matter how I scoop, it's super tough to start moving like a hinge correctly. Trying to compensate for the hinge with arm strength isn't exercising the right core muscles, and you won't use the abs in the right manner. Ugh.

I usually ask the instructor to take a video of me doing a new movement, and I'll also grab a quick video of her doing it. Well, these videos are for our eyes only. It's meant for me to spy incorrect form and check out where the mistakes lie, and correct them. Took a deep breath and tried again. Dipped the head down much deeper than the first time in order to raise the butt higher. Got it right the second time round, and of course the movement felt much better. My free leg doesn't have to hang there at the back. Once I'm fully comfortable in the tendon stretch, it could move up or sideways.

Managed to try it out on the Reformer at the gym for the next few days. Practiced it loads. I finally fully understood the movement. Nailed it. I'm literally a hinge. This hinge shouldn't be done fast. It should be done slow and controlled, to feel the full work on the abs. The arms are just there to stabilize the body, and there should be minimal arm strength utilized in this movement.

The incorrect starting posture.

No comments: