Wednesday, September 12, 2018

The Renovation Work Is Done

The contractor has handed back the keys. I've also swopped out to a digital door lock, and I guess this ends the renovation. All in all, the contractor has followed the schedule, didn't kertok us or stinge on the quality of the materials or the workmanship. Everything has been done to our satisfaction, and we'll just shrug off the little things.

Whatever minor fixes and touch-ups in future will be under 'warranty', so to speak. Of course I'll know which are the additional payment that would have to be done if there're other non-renovation work-related issues. I still blink each time I think of the way I've hired the contractor. We didn't sign a contract. (I know riiiight!) After the initial hardcopy invoices, every other itemized bill was agreed upon via photographs. We did everything that the renovation forums tell people not to do, and our contractor works in a way that’s scary. No respectable lawyer would do this. 🤣 Like I said, I place my trust in my friends, and when my friends' homes have been recently renovated by this same dude, I'll take my chances.

Delays are part and parcel of home renovation. But largely, these delays are justifiable. The contractor has been very efficient, responsive and discreet. I have no idea what the industry practice is, but I thought that instead of buying a gift by way of thanks for the contractor and his crew, an ang pow would be more practical, and probably better appreciated. Hehehe.

And now for a ton of home cleaning. Ugh. Then it’s another round of expected screw-ups with the delivery of electrical appliances and furniture. I still haven’t decided if I would ever fix up the doorbell (which has been bought).

No comments: