Monday, November 05, 2018

The Haunting of Hill House



To be honest, I was a little skeptical of Netflix's reimagined 'The Haunting of Hill House' directed by Mike Flanagan. Remember the 1999 film (starring Liam Neeson and Catherine Zeta-Jones) that was a flop? After two episodes, I binge-watched the entire Season 1. I didn't read anything prior about it, and assumed it's simply a television adaptation of the book. As I watched, it drew me in. I started googling.

This isn't Shirley Jackson's 1959 novel.  Mike Flanagan's version is completely different. The television series is clever and very well thought-out, centers around the horrors a family experienced, and is still experiencing. The story for this 2018 version runs concurrently in two timelines, and it works great.

However, the point is, I went out to the library to borrow a few of Shirley Jackson's books and re-read them long-form stories. I love horror stories that evoke the element of the supernatural (and not psychological). My childhood is filled with these strange scary tales, and I've never outgrown them. Oh these books are such a joy to read after all the staid sombre boring crap I had to read to pass academic examinations. Hurhurhur. Shirley Jackson's stories fascinated me, and they still do.

In time for Halloween, in its October 28, 2018 issue, The New Yorker also published Shirley Jackson's spooky short stories'The Lottery' (from 'The Lottery and Other Stories' 1949), and 'The Man in the Woods' (first published in The New Yorker, April 28 2014), and 'Paranoia' (first published in The New Yorker, August 5, 2013).

Oooh. What a serendipitous recap online. I didn't borrow the short stories from the library, so this is nice. To me, Halloween is never about parties or candy. It's All Saints' Day. Funny how at this time of the year, I do spend quite a fair bit of time re-watching old horror films, and reading all my favorite horror authors. There's something about letting the imagination wander. It's a healthy thing to do, then you don't really fear what lurks within the shadows.

If you aren't going out to re-read Shirley Jackson's books, there're these three stories online. You have to at least read 'The Lottery'. Then... Which is your favorite? 😉

2 comments:

Liverella said...

Curiosity got me and went to check out her books at NLB online, whoa... all of them are on hold! Shall wait patiently for the short stories collection to be available. Always love short horror stories, the creeps run down my spine fast ;D

imp said...

heh- maybe everyone has a renewed interest in the books because of the television series! i had to reserve the books i wanted as well.