Thursday, December 13, 2018

Sliced Fish Noodles X Dwaeji Galbi


It rained the whole day. Well, it's been raining for the whole week. I enjoy the lower temperatures, but rain makes going out a pain. It's absolutely miserable, unless you're happily indoors. Hot soup and noodles are always good for rainy wet weather.

The BFF must be prescient. Each time I plan to cook soup, she somehow knows, even though I don't tell her or put anything on social media prior to a meal. She randomly texted me in the morning to ask what my dinner plans were. I was like, 'Ermm, I'm cooking. Do you want to come over?' Hahahahha. If she could send me a text like that, it means that she's free for that time slot! Of course she would turn up. The menu had CANTONESE SOUP, her favorite-st thing in the world.

On a whim, I had gone to the wet market bright and early to see what I could get to cook soup noodles. I wasn't inclined to do beef noodles. I'm really not a fan of beef or pork noodles no matter in what style. I don't fancy beef pho or Teochew/Taiwan beef noodles or any sort of with minced pork, like bak chor mee. LOL. Fresh fish wins any meat. Sliced fish noodles in soup it was! The wet market always has good stuff. Bought nice slices of ikan haruan, and bones of kurau and snapper. There were loads of vegetables to go along with it too.


I haven't boiled up soup noodles in this kitchen, so I was pleased with how it turned out. The logistics were not troublesome at all. Kept the soup light, and added more ginger and pepper to it. Sliced fish soup and noodles went down well with BFF and the man. #ImpieCooks2018

And because the man wanted some protein, I bought Indonesian pork (much better than Australian pork and less stinky) at the wet market too. Giant back ribs. These are easy to handle. I wouldn't have to chop it up or touch it more than necessary. It only involved a rinse and some deft handling of the bones.

Dwaeji galbi went on the menu. The marinade wasn't tough to do, and I had all that leftover applesauce in a jar that I really wanted to use up. All the marinated ribs needed was to sit for two hours in the fridge. The giant back ribs were fantastic for light grilling in the oven. It caramelized nicely at the ends. The man was soooo happy with them. The BFF takes pork, and she enjoys nibbling on ribs. Okaaaay. Knock yourself out gnawing on the bones. I didn't want any part of the meat beyond tasting it to make sure that they were fine in and out of the oven.

No comments: