Friday, March 29, 2019

Popiah For Lunch!


Went to Aunty J's for lunch. She gathered us for popiah. Yay! Popiah for lunch on any day is great, and it's this bonus I can never say no to. Popiah is one of my favorite foods. I inhale those and have them as a full meal, even as dinner. If I want popiah nowadays, I still head to Maxwell Market for a superb fix; I love that stall's iteration.

Aunty J makes all the ingredients in her kitchen, down to the popiah skin. All that effort. It's not the first time I'm tasting her popiah, which was why I eagerly looked forward to this lunch. There were many desserts of homebaked kueh ambon, sugee fruit cake, and soya beancurd. It's always an absolute treat to be able to sit down at Aunty J's dining table and quaff all the delicious foods.

Grinned when I saw sliced lupcheong in the tray. That's kinda fun. I would put lupcheong in my popiah! Lots of minced garlic, sambal belachan, and greens, but no crushed peanuts. It's always fun rolling up our own popiah. Then I could slather all the minced garlic possible into each roll. Homemade popiah skin rocked. I don't bother with slicing up popiah. I roll it up like a burrito and chomp it like that.

I was hungry, and this 1pm luncheon at Aunty J's made me hungrier. I arrived all ready to EAT. It was with a fair bit of consternation when I realized that everyone else ate two rolls of popiah only. I happily rolled my own popiah...... I ATE FOUR. 🤭 Wah, I really not shy sial!

No comments: