Friday, February 14, 2020

Congee at Allium

THE BFF IS FINALLY BACK IN TOWN. For a bit before she flies out again at the end of the month, COVID-19 notwithstanding. Zzzzz. We went to brunch at Allium at Kensington Square, Jalan Lokam. Opened by the people behind the now-defunct Gastrosmiths at Bugis, this 16-seater cafe carries a modest but satisfying brunch menu. Dinner should be nice, but I highly doubt I'd be in the area in the evenings.

We eyed the roasted dry-aged Empress chicken, and the saffron fish stew, but that would have to be left for another visit. The BFF predictably picked out the sourdough waffles that came with maple syrup and French butter. She totally enjoyed that, and didn't offer to give away her food. Hahahah. If you don't take maple syrup and butter with waffles, you could add a few dollars to opt for valrhona chocolate sauce, or ice cream and pecans.

I was slightly torn between the vegan options of congee and the Allium pajeon (savory Korean pancake... heh). I chose the vegan pine nut and root vegetable congee that was served with lotus root kinpira at the side. No regrets! It was delicious! I loved it because the congee wasn't salty, but the kinpira was, as expected. So I could moderate salt levels; I was certain that they would also provide an extra dash of soy sauce if I asked for it. Heh. The vegan aomori apple tart was quite good. The cubes of aomori apples were sautéed in vanilla and brandy. The compote below of apple trimmings and vanilla could have been slightly less sweet. Then again, I'm the strange person who likes sour tarts.

No comments: