Wednesday, May 06, 2020

Hamburg Ballett's 'Die Kameliendame' 1987


I was disappointed that Hamburg Ballett's 'Lady of the Camellias' at the Esplanade was canceled. I was very much looking forward to watching it. Hamburg Ballett has now put out a segment of John Neumeier's ballets online for a bit. Over last weekend, 'Lady of the Camellias' was available to stream for 48 hours.

I was very pleased because film streamed was the 1987 123-minute dance-film directed by John Neumeier and produced by Norddeutscher Rundfunk (NDR). I’ve never watched it. I’m keen to watch John Neumeier’s choreography and Hamburg Ballett dance this one. I don’t about Ivan Liska. I only care that this version of ‘Die Kameliendame’ starred prima ballerina Marcia Haydée.

The canceled show in Singapore would have seen the role of 'Marguerite Gautier' split between Anna Laudere and Hélène Bouchet. That would have been nice, but it’s a bonus to watch Marcia Haydée dance, even if it’s onscreen. I’ve always enjoyed Marcia Haydée’s dancing. I don’t care about the storyline (adapted from a novel ‘La Dame aux Camélias’ written by Alexandre Dumas fils in 1848). I did admire the dancers' expressions, particularly Marcia's. She brought out all the feels, and one could see those close-up in the film. I also don’t fancy the music because, Chopin. John Neumeier’s ballets always use music from composers I don’t fancy. Ugh. I no like classical or Romantic composers. Okay, I can live with Bach.

No comments: