Wednesday, August 26, 2020

A Bottle of No-Sugar Cocoa Spread


It was so nice of JY to pass me a home-churned bottle of hazel cocoa spread (otherwise popularly known as 'Nutella'). She laughed when I sent her a photo of the jar. She said she forgot to write almonds in the label. But luckily she asked me prior if I'm allergic to nuts. Hahaha. I'm not. So she isn't in any danger of killing me. I HEART that handwritten label. SO NICE LAH. Loved it! Artisanal? This is it. 

I have a weakness for dark chocolate spreads. They can come with nuts, no issues. I don't take them as much because the store-bought versions usually contain sugar, and I can't deal with too much of it. I honestly prefer dark chocolate spreads with zero sugar content. I sporadically stock up mine in the form of a dark chocolate spread from Le Pain Quotidien, and have tried the 'Le Creama Gianduia' from Fossa Chocolate. To my tastebuds, they were still too sweet. Since I don't bake, and I'm never that desperate to bake, I'm absolutely grateful to be able to taste JY's no-sugar version. 

JY stirred hers in a Thermomix. She blends loads of nut butters and such, so the gadget is most useful for her. She thought that this batch of chocolate spread isn't as smooth as she'd have liked. But I'm quite happy with it! I don't like it too drippy or too smooth either. I thought that the consistency of this bottle was perfect. It isn't technically sugar-less. There's sugar in the honey used. And that's an acceptable level of sweetness, imho.

Chocolate spread always goes nicely on bread. That could either be lunch or a snack if I'm hungry but don't want to eat a heavy meal. I generally don't like my breads toasted. Slightly warm will do; ten seconds in the microwave oven. Cold chocolate spread on warm bread is delicious. I also put a spoonful into plain Greek yoghurt; topped it with blackberries this week. Many do it with peanut butter or cashew butter, but I'm not a fan of either, so this chocolate spread is the best! Heh. Even without preservatives, this precious 200g should last for two weeks in the fridge. I might just finish it before that. Wheeeee.

5 comments:

coboypb said...

What a lovely homemade gift! I was staring at the ingredients list. Good idea to add nut milk and dates. I can consider making such a spread as I have most of the ingredients except hazelnuts :)

D said...

Looks really yummy and well made! Like you, I can only wish it's easier to find dark choc spread that has less or no sugar (as in not even artificial sweetener).

Your previous post: Beautiful pics! Like reading your posts on where to dine with dogs! Thanks for sharing!

imp said...

coboypb: i assume she also got it off a recipe on the internet and tweaked it. i can ask her which recipe she uses- will save you loads of googling.

D: oof- am glad O's leg is all healed now. You can take her out to many places especially when she's small and can sit in a bag too. i only dare to write about the cafes/restaurants that are officially licensed to take dogs! teeheeheheh. thank you for still reading!

coboypb said...

I have found a few recipes using dates and honey/maple syrup as sweeteners :)

imp said...

coboypb: will text you!