Friday, August 14, 2020

Many Teasers Done This Year


The pilates Teaser on the Reformer/Long-Box is a move I always dread yet welcome. It fully utilizes the core muscles, and makes me work the abdominals really hard. There're days when I can do it smoothly, and there're days when I'm not focused and I can't control the core sufficiently to hold it. Then there's really bad days when I inexplicably can't even roll up from a supine position.

The whole point of doing to Teaser, is to do it really slowly to work each and every muscle, reaching into deep into the transversus abdominis. I find it easier to do the Teaser on the floor, mat pilates style, rather than on the Reformer. The additional resistance on the Reformer (the straps) make the abs work harder, firing all deep stabilizers and I really have to use the breath to control the muscles in order to finish the move fluidly.

I certainly don't do the Teaser once a year. Hahahaha. It's incorporated into the pilates classes every week. The Teaser is often the last movement done in a class. That's when all the muscles are sufficiently warmed up. Now that I've learnt to isolate the muscles, it's much easier for me to get into the Teaser. I just have to ensure that the flow is smooth and strong. I've conscientiously done the Teaser often this year, on both the Reformer and the floor. I can't be just doing planks and press-ups at home. So the Teaser is a fantastic counterbalance to those. It's a great exercise to practice full body control.  

No comments: