Thursday, October 21, 2021

Watercress & Ox-tongue


I was horrified to find a 100-gram tray of sliced raw ox tongue (for yakiniku) in the freezer with its label dated May 2020. Okaaaaay. I assumed that once thawed out, it would still be edible. It should be eaten ASAP. 18 months in the freezer was wayyyy too looooong to keep any sort of food. This meant that we would just have another easy dinner at home. 

I generally don't do menu-planning that much. Casual meals at home are subjected to what my mood is, and what the supermarket has stocks of. I needed the supermarket to stock up on beef for Choya, so I also went to see what random vegetables and stuff I could get for a casual dinner the night. I was quite pleased to find super decent watercress on the shelves, as well as fresh king oyster mushrooms. Those would do nicely. 

Marinated the slices of ox tongue in salt and pepper, and seared it. It didn't need much treatment. However, they weren't brined, so it would be a tad chewy, but it should be pretty delicious. It's considered offal, but the smell isn't offensive to me. I wasn't bothered to brine a mere 100g of ox tongue. I didn't even slice it thinner. Hurhurhur.  #ImpieCooks2021

The slices of ox-tongue were quite the perfect topper to an easy and hearty stir-fry of water-cress and king oyster mushrooms with chilli padi. Two dishes would be nice. So I stir-fried another pack of vegetables in the form of Shanghai greens in garlic and fish sauce.I love vegetables anyway. Didn't bother adding any eggs. We eat them all the time, and tonight didn't need them. The man was super pleased that he got another homecooked meal out of me. Heh.

No comments: