Friday, March 04, 2022

The Sudden Closure of Sunny Heights

So I decided to take Choya out of school at Sunny Heights, and was going to enquire about the refunds for the remaining sessions of our paid-up package and such. Within a week, suddenly on Thursday 3 March at 12.41pm, I got an email from the school announcing closure and cessation of business operations THE NEXT DAY. Talk about being dramatic. What the fuck. 

There has been no mention of welfare of dogs currently in boarding, no explanation provided to owners with outstanding sessions left on their packages, and zilch on staff salaries and compensation. And till now, silence on social media. Even the staff had been blindsided. Sunny Heights updated their socials only a day later, with the same words in the letter and email. Beyond this pathetic semblance of an announcement that carries no sincerity, there isn’t further information and it all stinks of irresponsibility. 

You're a pet daycare and boarding facility, dealing with floofs and humans who're savvy on social media, and you go old school and do a runner. You didn't even try explaining how and why? You built trust and relationships with clients for years and you do this. You even terminated your staff on the same morning of said announcement. Is this how you close a business? Should you not own up if you're in the red, insolvent and winding it up? I like Sunny Heights not because of the owners. The school is everything it is today because of the hardworking staff, and their passion and sincerity. 

The owners of Sunny Heights are a piece of work; I'm also not discounting the senior management of the place who might be in the know but not able to tell anything to the clients because of confidentiality clauses in their employment contracts. These are business owners who have no clue or willfully ignore integrity and responsibility. Don't give me the 'I'm just a director in name and I dunno what's going on.' You want to be a director of this business, you jolly well query the business operations and not leave it to a manager who has no shares in this company. This is a classic example of bad public relations, corporate communications and even worse decision-making skills. 

I'm so angry. In total rage mode. This is not even about getting back money for the unconsumed sessions of my package anymore. This is a matter of principle. I filed a claim against the two directors of Sunny Heights within three hours of receiving that email. YOU ASSHOLES. The words and the email tell me that they're doubling down, and pretty much not giving a fuck about unsecured creditors, and made no apologies about it. There's no time to lose. I'll hassle them (legally) as much as I can. There's much to be said, but this is to be done offline. My team of lawyers rather gleefully await new instructions. Meanwhile I'll let the process roll through Small Claims Tribunal, and force the two clowns to respond. Let's see how this pans out.

No comments: