Thursday, August 11, 2022

'The Sandman' on Netflix


Last weekend, I cleared the schedule and gave myself ample time to binge-savor Neil Gaiman's 'The Sandman' brought to 'life' on Netflix. I have waited an eternity to watch this series. No one could stand between me and this binge. 10 episodes; about an hour each, so 10 hours. Between time taken to walk the dog and feeding her as well as the man and I, I even allocated 8 hours of sleep in between. 

OMG. WHAT A SPLENDID ADAPTATION. I LOVED IT. 🤩 I was hoping for it to be good, but I was blown away. I didn't realize it turned out this good because Neil Gaiman shepherded the production almost entirely. I love the diversity of the cast, fluid gender identities, and varied difficult themes that the production bravely tackled head on, all of which play true to the comics too. The actors brought their characters to life and lend them a voice that realized the vision of the stories. 

The 75 issues ran from January 1989 to March 1996. I was a wee girl, but I polished my brains and my English and world views based on The Sandman and the world Enid Blyton created. My all-time FAVORITE comic series is 'The Sandman'. I don't care about the rest of the DC universe, even if Neil Gaiman wrote for them back then. He didn't create the character of Sandman though; that's done by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon in the 1970s.  

I cannot stop laughing at Tom Sturridge as Dream / Lord Morpheus. He really really is a young and thin version of Robert Smith, as so intended when a young Neil Gaiman wrote him and Charles Vess illustrated him. Also, Tom Sturridge's Dream can definitely pass off as one those vampires in the world of Twilight, or Underworld. LOL

And gosh, I can finally stop yelling 'Brienne of Tarth' each time I see Gwendoline Christie. She is now Lucific, cherubic, evil and arresting. Thanks to the other show 'Lucifer', played by Tom Ellis, we all know Lucifer is going to leave Hell and go to Los Angeles to open a piano bar. Yes, that Lucifer is in the same universe as this Lucifer. We all know Tom Ellis's suave and angsty Lucifer. Let's see how Gwendoline Christie takes cherubic and malevolent Lucifer to the piano bar. 

If you have never read 'The Sandman' as a graphic novel, you could simply watch the show, because it's THAT GOOD. The finer details are left to fans to debate, argue and pick apart. The ending of Season 1 already told us what Season 2 is going to be about. I can't wait to watch Season 2! I don't care whether it's on Netflix or HBO Max. I'll subscribe to whichever streaming service that will give us Season 2 and hopefully all the way to Season 5, maybe 10? Since GoT, I haven't been this excited over a television drama series. Oof!

No comments: