Wednesday, October 05, 2022

A Pocket of Quiet at the Studio


I love me an empty pilates studio. It's great for focusing and I won't be distracted by muted conversation. It doesn't quite affect me, but I like the quiet breaks. Well, it doesn't stay empty for long; maybe about 30 minutes before the next batch of clients come in. That morning, I was happy to have a small pocket of solitude during my class. 

Studio sessions are always more intense, and more interesting when other clients get to see what the others do. It's not a competition since all of us have different needs. But it gets very competitive if it happens to be an athletic session for the clients there at the same time frame. LOL Sometimes, it's more like cheering one another on if we're attempting tougher maneuvers. 

Nowadays, my instructor doesn't bother to demonstrate the moves for me. I've been practicing pilates for so decades, and I've spent years with her. She expects me to have done my research and distill her words. On some days when my brain cells aren't functioning well, I still ask for her to show me what she is saying. I'm very happy when the instructor does a demonstration or shows me a clip or a photo of the eventual form she wants to see. 

In class that morning, the instructor wanted me to do tricep dips on the reformer, except my hands are on the shoulder rest instead of the foot bar. Okaaaaay. She also didn't let my butt sit on the carriage. Very mean. So I asked her to do a few pushes to show me. She obliged with five reps. Teehehehe. 

This is K, my pilates instructor.
She obliged with a demo of what she wanted me to do.

No comments: