Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Stretching Out The Quads

I've neglected my quads and they've become really tight. Quads get tight from overuse or the lack of use. Dohhhhh. Since I also have tight hip flexors, I ought to pay more attention to them. In pilates and gyrotonic classes, some movements which require the use of quads become restricted because mine are too tight. In order to maximize the benefits of these classes, I decided to do daily quad stretches. I'd ease into them. Once comfortable, I'd do the really intense ones; to go deeper and hold longer. 

The standing quad stretch isn't sufficient to ease out mine. I would need to hold it for like five minutes or something. Static stretches are great. Once you get over the initial pain, the rest is literally mind over matter. What is super efficient, is the quad stretch done kneeling against the wall, and the prone quad stretch using a non-stretchable loop to pull in the knee. Both movements stretch the quads in a slightly different angle, so I do both daily. 

Sometimes the gyrotonic instructor would help me out with the prone quad stretch. Three sets of 30 seconds static hold. She would push my knees and calves lower for each set. Initially she made me hold it for 30 seconds only. That was already torture. Then holding it for a minute became easy. She has noticed a significant improvement in the angle of my bent knee.  

The pilates instructor is extremely fond of making me do the wall quad stretch. The gauge of quad tightness is how near my spine can get to the wall. I can do this stretch on my own quite easily. I just need some time and I could get the back against the wall. Soon, I hope. The cool-down stretches at the gym after HIIT classes also include a standing quad stretch. I scurry to the wall to do mine. 

No comments: