Monday, January 23, 2023

年初一 :: 喜對良宵玩玉兔、笑同勝友賞新春


I had earlier bought a few boxes of mikan and dekopon as gifts for some friends. Then realized I didn't get any for myself. I supposed I need to have a box of mandarin oranges at home in case visiting has to be done. My usual fruit seller ordered me to pick up two boxes on the last day of the Tiger. What I didn't realise was, she reserved two boxes of Red Beauty (红美人) for me. It's a hybrid of tangerine and orange. This hybrid from Ningbo is one of China's better quality exports of Mandarin oranges. I dunno why, but it seems to be extra hot property this year. Why ah?  

Had to make the obligatory and kinda mandatory visit to the man's parents in the afternoon (they're not morning people), and brought two Red Beauty over. The MIL definitely didn't know anything about mandarin oranges, so she didn't know what these were, except that they were packed really nicely. Hahahah. I don't particularly care, but if giving these out means that people will eat them instead of throwing them away or letting them rot as the days go by, then it makes more sense to gift these oranges rather than buy shitty ones in the name of adhering to a tradition that stinks of wastefulness.

At 6pm, I retreated back home for a glass of whisky. It was a rather happy day. The morning stroll by the beach in the sun and breeze before the rainclouds rolled in was such balm for the soul. We ordered loads of food from our all-time favorite Gokul; it provided us with such a delicious lunch. Smol Girl was very pleased that she wasn't left alone this rainy Day 1 of the Lunar Year of the Rabbit. 

No comments: