Monday, May 29, 2023

M+


Made sure that I spent a few hours at M+. The visual arts museum was supposed to be opened in 2017, but that never came to fruition. It finally opened in November 2021, and I really wanted to visit it. We got tickets via Cityline, but you could also just buy from M+ ticketing counter upon arrival. The queues are still non-existent.

It's a beautiful venue at the West Kowloon Cultural District, and I was struck by how it gives out distinctly Tate Modern vibes. The gorgeous Hong Kong Palace Museum is next door to M+, and I think many people are surging there to view the current exhibition (ticketed) hosted by jewelry house Cartier that runs till 14 August 2023. 

I was secretly relieved that we missed the Yayoi Kusama exhibition that ended on May 14. I'm not a fan of her pumpkins or polka dots. I've seen her installations twice as standalone shows, and come across so many of her works dotted (pun intended) here and there. I don't think I can deal with more polka dots. M+ still has a number of the artist's pieces on the ground floor and basement. 

I took my time looking at the exhibits; the brain cells were in overdrive. I think the friends were a tad bored. LOLOL. Art is subjective right? So it all depends on what you're interested in. It's like, I can deal with Renaissance and Classical. I cannot deal with Romantic and Impressionism. I definitely cannot deal with Monet or Van Gogh. (Hence I absolutely hated having to play Beethoven and Chopin piano exam pieces.) I didn't dare to drag the friends to the Affordable Art Fair at the HKCEC that ended on 21 May. Teehehehe.  

In the East and South Galleries, there're also design and architecture highlights from around Asia. Singapore's Marina One designed by Ingenhoven Architects was shown, as well as Hans Tan's three works from his 'Spotted Nyonya' series (2011) by way of a kamcheng, a candle holder and a dish. I also liked the two 1950s rattan pieces from the now defunct Kowloon Rattan Ware Company (九龍藤器公司). They're chairs, you know, those saucer chairs that are pretty comfortable to curl up with a book and chill in. 

These galleries don't just note architecture in the region. They also note design and quality elements from living makers in Asia. While the design elements in the visual galleries are cool, I got a bit tired of them after seeing them endlessly displayed. 

My personal preference is the works shown at the Sigg Collection's 'From Revolution to Globalisation' (till 23 July 2023). Those works are a great summary of the development of Chinese contemporary art from the 1970s till today. The Sigg Gallery is huge, and this exhibition is so well curated, showcasing all art forms through the decades. I really lingered over them. 

'Art and Politics' 2006 / 《藝術與政治》
Oil on canvas / 釉彩布本
Wang Guangyi / 王廣義 
(born 1957 in Heilongjiang, works in Beijing)
Donated to the M+ Sigg Collection.

No comments: