Friday, May 19, 2023

Whisky at Olivia

I hadn't gone to Olivia for some time. Randomly walked in and got a table, outdoors, of course. I didn’t intend to sit indoors. It was a sizzling night. The humidity is unrelenting even at this hour, but I had to sit outdoors. 😉  There was a tiny breeze fluttering now and then. Sitting outdoors meant that the ice in my whisky melted faster than usual. Dohhhh. Seriously, why do these restaurants charge so much for whisky. Our alcohol taxes are phenomenal. 

We had appetizers in the form of a tomato tartare and the beef tartare. The tomato and its pickles were lovely. I didn't fancy Olivia’s iteration of the Angus beef tartare because it was topped with Avruga caviar. I don’t like the flavors of caviar and beef tartare meshed together. The appetizers went beautifully with my peated Laphroaig 10y.o. 

Thank goodness the man didn't also order two mains. He was considering the grilled Mediterranean turbot in pilpil basque sauce. I was hungry but I wasn't intending to over-eat. That one main was filling because it was all carbs by way of a pan of squid ink rice with carabineros. It was juicy and tasted closer to risotto than a paella. Hahaha. It was delicious though. 

The restaurant was generous enough to send us complimentary dishes! Many! They gave us an apéritif, ham croquettes, a digestif and even their house-made cheesecake for dessert! Wow. Why so nice? I certainly wasn't going to ask why although I wondered why. Heh.

No comments: