Saturday, July 22, 2023

Korean Spicy Seafood Stew at Home!

Needed a distraction from these dreary rains and obsessively watching the leak and soaking up the water pooled. When it's this rainy, there's nowhere fun to go when I'm not in the mood and don't want to get wet. Decided to prep a simple one-pot dinner.

Found many recipes online for sundubu jjigae (Korean spicy tofu stew). The one with seafood sounded easy — haemul sundubu jjigae. Okay can. I have all the chillies, chilli powder and chilli oil in the larder. Popped into the supermarket to get mushrooms, thin slices of beef and pork, loads of tofu, 500g of clams and prawns and a little bit of squid. And bought roast chicken too. I'm too lazy to roast one at home when buying one is so much cheaper and more convenient.

As I added kelp and anchovy stock and water into the pot along with fish sauce and soy sauce, I had to remind myself that this pot wasn't meant to be a soup. It was to be an Asian stew. Hahahaha. Of course I made it spicy, but not too spicy. It was perfect for our preferred spice levels. This pot of stew was surprisingly easy to boil up, and turned out rather pleasing. #ImpieCooks2023 

I wasn't totally keen on the stew; I only wanted the tofu and the meats. Happy with how the slices of beef and pork turned out boiled in the stew. I'm not very keen on Korean sundubu jjigae because I don't sip it, but I don't mind some of the contents slathered over and eaten with rice. The man didn't want to have this stew with rice. Our edible greens are growing really well. Harvested a batch of lettuce and bok choi from the pods to mix in with the stew, and layered shredded chicken breast on top. The man was super pleased because the meal was tasty, spicy, high in protein and low in carbs. That made for a really decent dinner for both of us!

No comments: