Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Ganjang-Gejang at Sinsa Kkotgedang


S really wanted to get her fill of ganjang-gejang (Korean soy marinated crabs). She's tried a couple of recommended and popular versions in Singapore and she prefers the flavors found in Seoul. We didn't feel like sitting at the roadside stalls to have this. Hellooo, lung fluke. I know that it has nothing to do with the prices, and everything to do with the hygiene processes of a restaurant. Still, a restaurant that specializes in doing raw marinated crabs should hopefully know what they're doing.

We went to Sinsa Kkotgedang / 신사꽃게당 in Gangnam-gu for ganjang-gejang. That's all the food they offer on the menu. LOLOL If you go, make sure you really like crabs. They have crabs done in different ways. Hahaha. They use flower crabs. So we took a set at ₩120,000 which came with two raw marinated crabs, and a spicy hotpot of cooked blue crabs. The hotpot also came with a pack of ramyeon. The broth was excellent.

S was super pleased with this iteration of ganjang-gejang. Heh! E eats crabs but I don't know how much she likes it raw and marinated. Hurhurhur. We told her to just have a taste of it on rice. We shared a bowl of rice. That soy-marinated raw crab went nicely with sticky rice. Slurrrrrrp.

The cooked crabs in hotpot were more difficult to get to the flesh. Zzzzz. I definitely didn't clean mine. E and S finished the ramyeon and the broth!!! I literally only had two strands. I'm not a fan of ramyeon or their spicy broths, regardless of how good they are. 

I like Teochew cold crabs and their marinated crabs; the latter is similar to the Korean ganjang-gejang. However, my shellfish allergies mean that I keep away from crabs too. Alongside prawns, they kinda cause the worst flares. I've had a major flare towards the end of February, so I've kept away from shellfish for two months. So I decided to throw caution to the wind and eat crabs at this dinner. 豁出去了. 

This is such a Fear Factor meal. It's not just a cholesterol bomb. It’s also my entire year’s quota of shellfish. Totally worth popping antihistamines and managing the swollen eyes and rashes after. Luckily the allergies held at these and didn't deteriorate. It was absolutely delicious. 

No comments: