Tuesday, May 07, 2024

Whisky & Cocktails in Seoul

Feather, Seoul.

From what I've seen so far, alcohol isn't cheaper in Seoul. Soju and makgeolli are super cheap per bottle. Beer is cheap. But I refuse to do soju or makgeolli because they're quite sweet and for some odd reason, they give me a gigantic headache. However, whisky and cocktails aren't easy on the pocket at all. Their cocktails at cocktail bars average ₩27,000-32,000. Hotel bars are insane when they price everything in USD. Liquor tax is at 72% per liter. 

At one bar, I simply refused to have whisky when all the single malts I want are priced minimally at ₩50,000 a generous dram. The three cheaper and kinda eeky whisky are priced at ₩36,000 a dram. Grrrrr. I don't care about the free nibbles that usually come along. If you get out to the other less fancy bars, an Oban 14 y.o could be about ₩22,000-26,000. That's super acceptable. I like these bars. Heh!

I really like OUL Four Seasons Hotel for keeping some brand identity in their menu. They offer traditional Korean spirits and liqueurs as cocktails. That's delightful. I ended up with a 'Goosoo Highball' at ₩29,000. It was surprisingly good! It uses Won soju classic with toasted barley, crust of overcooked brown rice and demerara syrup seltzer. Delicious! Skip the food here. It's overpriced and not that great.

Otherwise, I didn't go mad drinking here. Light drinking — a glass or two at most. I also wanted to keep awake to make it to the gym the next day without being dehydrated. Hello, alcohol = sugar = fats. I must control alcohol portions lah!

OUL and Charles H at Four Seasons Hotel Seoul.

No comments: