Saturday, June 29, 2024

Three Hawker Brands at the Bidadari Estate


Kizuna
hosted a pop-up by three hawker brands that have upcoming new stalls at the newly-built food centers at Bidadari Estate in the neighorbood. These brands are run by three young entrepreneur-chefs — Liu Kou Shui (fusion Chinese and Japanese don bowls), Style Palate (modern Western, French-ish), and Liu Da Xia (prawn noodles). I love how Kizuna do all these to bring the community together. 

I looked at the menu and realized that it was something the man would enjoy. The shellfish might kill me, and I'm not a fan of unagi at all. I signed us up anyway. I'd pop an antihistamine, taste the food and enjoy my highballs. Hehe. I skipped the dessert of coffee jelly because that caffeine (no matter how little) at this time would result in a sleepless night. Ordered another highball instead. 

The appetizer of chilled tofu, kelp and umami pasta was almost quite the standard nowadays. It's an easy and popular flavor. I was just glad that they didn't drizzle a ton of truffle oil in the pasta — it was controlled to a few drops. I would have preferred none, but never mind. 

The bowl of pork ribs in prawn broth with dried prawn mee with scallops and abalone was absolutely delicious! Gosh. I smelt the broth being boiled up and that was woah..... I stayed far away. The man was totally in love with it. It also had a fancy fat scallop on its shell, and a baby abalone. Oof. It was a seriously good bowl of broth. None of us (except me) rejected a second bowl of broth when the giant pot came around with its 'leftovers'.

The braised beef came in the style of a brisket. Absolutely fork-tender. No knife was needed. As it is with rice dishes in a tasting menu, they turn up last. The unagi-don was ermmm... okay. I really can't deal with bones in eel or fish (think unagi, anago and Bombay fry), so I handed the entire piece over to the man who happily ate the extra protein. I took his egg yolk. Kekekek. The rice wasn't that much. I could deal with it. 

No comments: