Tuesday, July 02, 2024

The Chefs Have Changed and Rotated Roles at Miraku


Stopped by Miraku for Part 2 of V's birthday meals! I haven't come by for a few months. The chefs have rotated and changed, along with the chef at helm. Wahhhhh. But the menu is still decent. I've seen these chefs learn and grow, and be steady in their knife skills and understanding of fish. They still know my preferences and are happy to accommodate them. So till there's a drop in standards, I'll still come by for some fish and rice. 

V also decided to pass on the tuna and all cuts of maguro. The chefs kindly checked with me if some bits of tuna in the appetizer as negitoro and as a starter of seared 'bonito' would be okay with us. Yes. That's because they wouldn't taste like tuna. Add enough negi and onions to minced tuna, and I'll eat it. 

This is a still more casual sushi-ya compared to others which can be a little more stuffy, but well, those might be more 'authentic'. But if you think that for S$248++ for Miraku's premium set, you're expecting XYZ instead of this UVW that fall short it, then maybe pay $350 and go to those restaurants to get the XYZ you prefer. In many Singapore restaurants, we DON'T HAVE $150 omakase sets already lah. For $150, you'll get a nice lunch set of 8 pieces of sushi. I'll also tell you to go to the supermarket shelves to get the takeout sashimi and sushi.

Miraku's 'premium omakase' menu is still premium enough. Different chefs have got a different touch, and that's fine by me. The thin slices of Hokkaido A4 wagyu weren't that many to make me feel jelat, so I slathered them in egg yolk and slurped them up. 

I got all the nicely filleted slices of shiny fish I wanted. Barracuda! Saba! Yay. Both the kuromutsu (blue fish) and akahata (blacktip grouper) was nicely brined and still a tad fatty. Mmmm. Kinmedai too, of course. There were loads of 'aburi' things going on, but I really didn't mind. 

I didn't make a note in the reservation details, but I mentioned that we were celebrating V's birthday. The thoughtful dudes in the kitchen sorted out a dessert platter for her and sang her a song. Hahaha. Too cute lah. It's a nice complimentary touch that is lacking in some other restaurants that also price their menus at $800-$1000 for two diners inclusive of drinks.

No comments: