Thursday, October 17, 2024

12 Kinds of Kalguksu; I Ate None


After a heavy gym session, I honestly wasn't hungry. I probably needed a smoothie or something but not a full meal. But I already said yes to lunch with a bunch of gym buddies. Anyway we ended up at Seoul Noodle Shop. I don't care about the owners who are 'celebrity chefs'. I have no idea why it's popular or what is hot about it. I simply tagged along.

Everyone wanted to have knife-cut noodles (kalguksu), of course. It is a noodle shop! You'll have to eat the noodles. I was very not interested in kalguksu. It's very dough-y and I no like that much of it in Korean or Chinese style. There're 12 kinds of kalguksu bowls on the menu and I was interested in NONE. They had held gochujang. I do not take Korean or Chinese spicy. Eeeeeps. I was mildly interested in the perilla noodles, but the dish is only offered in a strange sort of off-white sauce/soup with pumpkin. Eioooow. Why can't it come dry and savory?

The whole table opted for the pork bone spicy soup. They added mini gimbap and mandu to the mains. So I ate some of those. They were okay. The table said the spice was mild in the soup (they would have preferred it spicier); I tried it, but naaaah. You know it's not a matter of level of spiciness for me. It's the taste of gochujang. Ugh. If there was tofu, maybe I'd be more keen on it. But it's never the 'soup' that I like. I opted for... the mul naengmyeon. Buckwheat and sweet potato noodles work better for me. I filtered out the bit of gochujang at the side and ate half my noodles. That was rather edible. It was a decent bowl. 

No comments: